List of black flags
Translations of this material:
- into Russian: Чёрные флаги (список). Translation complete.
Submitted for translation by anarchofront 17.11.2011
Published 5 years, 4 months ago.
This is a list of flags which are entirely or largely black.
* A black flag (Black Standard) was used by Muhammad to represent his religion. It was used as the standard of the Abbasid Caliphate. It has also been stated that it will be the flag of the army that will fight the Dajjal.
* During the "Bauernkriege" in Europe in the 16th century the black flag was used by the revolting farmers.
* The Black Flag was flown by certain irregular Confederate Army units in the American Civil War of 1861-1865 to symbolize that they would neither give, nor accept quarter; symbolizing the opposite of the white flag of surrender.
* The Anarchist black flag has been an anarchist symbol since the 1880s. Anarchists use either a plain black flag or a black flag with an "A" and an "O" around it, this symbol is a reference to a Proudhon quote, meaning anarchy is the mother of order .
* Afghanistan flew a solid black flag from 1880–1901 (see Flag of Afghanistan)
* Upon the surrender of Nazi Germany in World War II German U-boats were ordered to fly a black flag and sail to an Allied port and surrender.
* Black flags are often associated with funerals in the West, particularly state funerals and public mourning.
* In the former Yugoslavia, a plain black flag is the flag of mourning. It is displayed for 40 days after death on the deceased person's house.
* Black Flag is another name for the Jolly Roger, a skull and crossbones on a black field, and is associated with pirates.
* The black flag is the symbol of the Jewish ultra-Orthodox, anti-Zionist group, Neturei Karta. It is flown as a sign of mourning over the creation of the State of Israel, most commonly on Israeli Independence Day.
* The Swedish Pirate Party have a black flag as a symbol, shaped like the letter P.
In competition, as a signal
* The black flag is a racing flag used to summon a driver to the pits.
* In sail racing, when the black flag is displayed with the preparatory signal, a boat that is over the starting line in the minute prior to the starting signal is immediately disqualified without a hearing.
* In some forms of racing, a black flag is used to disqualify competitors or indicate some other penalty (such as a forced pit stop in NASCAR).
 See also
* Red flag
* Yellow flag
* Green flag
* Blue flag
* Bonnie Blue Flag
* White flag
1. Islamic Flags at Flags of the World
© Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.. License: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License